Careers  |   Contact Us  |   Consultant Area  
User ID
> Forgot Password?
> Register
  NY DJIA 26,151 6.62%
  NY NASDAQ 7,909 11.42%
  London FTSE 7,421 7.86%
  Tokyo Nikkei 21,688 -0.57%
  Shanghai SSE 3,242 23.28%
  Frankfurt DAX 11,905 8.92%
  Paris CAC 40 5,456 11.14%
  Singapore SGX 3,330 7.07%
  Malaysia KLSE 1,637 -2.24%
  Thailand SET 1,663 1.73%
  GBP 0.77 0.86
  JPY 111.13 125.22
  EUR 0.89 -
  USD - 1.13
  CNY 6.72 7.57
  CAD 1.33 1.50
  AUD 1.40 1.58
  HKD 7.84 8.83
  Gold $1,308.10 4.72%
  Brent Crude $70.91 17.23%
  Silver $15.19 2.43%
  Platinum $892.02 10.70%
  Natural Gas $2.70 -34.31%
  Wheat $459.50 -12.89%
    Updated On 10-04-2019
Overview of Domicile
Domicile is a general law concept and is distinct from nationality or residence. It is not possible to list all the factors that affect your domicile but broadly speaking, you are domiciled in the country where you have your permanent home.  

A UK 'resident' for tax purposes is anyone, of any nationality, who spends more than half the year (strictly 183 days) in the UK for any reason - work is a common one. By itself that would normally make them liable for UK income tax on their worldwide income. The anomaly, however, is that the same individual could simultaneously be 'non-UK domiciled' because their 'permanent legal home', as the tax rules put it, is not the UK. Non-domicile status is given to people who were either not born in the UK or whose parents spent most of their lives in another country.

Even a British citizen who has spent most of their adult years outside the UK, could still be liable to pay UK inheritance tax. Probably the most famous case of this sort involved the actor Richard Burton. Although he lived in the US for 27 years, because his body was buried in Wales, the Inland Revenue deemed him still residing in the UK and took £2.4m in inheritance tax (IHT).

If you would like to understand more about UK inheritance tax (IHT) click here.

There is no way to conclusively determine if you have lost your UK domicile status, but the HMRC does provide a document (DOM1whereby you can declare yourself a non- domicile. Once complete, simply send to your last known tax office in the UK. If you are not sure where that is, you can give them a call on +44 151 210 2222.  If you would like to read a more thorough overview of UK domicile law please click here.
Concept of domicile
UK Inheritance Tax
Feb 2019
Vietnam: a land of opportunity for investors, A sea of change: economic growth has given the popular holiday destination a thriving capitalist culture.
Feb 2019
Britain’s FTSE share index will not climb beyond its record high in the next two years, according to a Reuters poll, as concerns over the terms of the country’s divorce from the European Union and rising volatility keep investors on edge.
Jan 2019
German fund inflows for 2018 already ahead of last year
Jan 2019
Zinc is dull but useful, and it’s in short supply – it’s time to buy!
  Site Map   |    Disclaimer   |   Glossary of Terms © 2010 Questor Capital. All rights reserved.  
Questor Capital Ltd. has offices in Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand and is regulated in Malaysia by Labuan FSA (License Number BS200649).
Thailand group management office (License Number 1755201886).